I like lots of things! Here are a few.
Good, sustainable food
- There are lots of excellent restaurants in the Twin Cities that focus on sustainable, local food. Some of my favorites are The Birchwood Cafe, Restaurant and Cafe Alma, Brasa, and Common Roots. Please seek out these kinds of places in your communities.
- My family is eating less meat these days. There are lots of great reasons why, including health benefits, environmental benefits, and existential benefits related to the way we treat animals.
Websites, apps, podcasts, magazines, etc.
- I read The Skimm every day because it’s quick, conversational, and topical. I also get lots of my news from Flipboard, Recode, TechCrunch, and the New York Times.
- My family could not live without Spotify. Hopefully the artists are getting paid.
- I listen to Revisionist History, The Moth, Serial, and several other awesome podcasts I can’t think of right now.
Just a few recommendations of business-y books:
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert is about how bad we are at predicting what makes us happy. I’ve recommended it at least 10 times.
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande is about how we treat people as they age. It’s fantastic, as is nearly every book and article by Atul Gawande.
- Setting the Table by Danny Meyer is a book about how, when all else fails, great service saves the day. Fantastic.
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz is pragmatic, entertaining, and immediately useful in at least 5 ways.
- Creativity Inc. by Ed Catmull has given me at least three ideas I now regularly use in my work life.
- I’m a fan of Ta-Nehisi Coates, especially Between the World and Me.
I have a few lefty guitars, some that are pretty great. My Larrivee L-09 has never let me down. It sounds amazing and is not at all fussy.
Those who know me know that I’m not overly particular, but these are some things I like to drink:
- I grew up in New York drinking Manhattan Special coffee soda. It is absolutely delicious.
- I now live in Minneapolis, where HeadFlyer Brewing makes an incredible Juicy IPA. Modist’s Dream Yard is pretty great too. (I’ve never lived in Delaware, but I’m a fan of Dogfish Head’s 90 Minute IPA anyway.)
- I really like whiskey and Manhattans.