I like lots of things! Here are a few.
Websites, apps, podcasts, magazines, etc.
- I read The Skimm every day because it’s quick, conversational, and topical. I also get lots of my news from Flipboard, Recode, TechCrunch, and the New York Times.
- I read some of Fast Company‘s daily newsletters because they highlight things that are innovative and well designed.
- My family could not live without Spotify. Hopefully the artists are getting paid.
- I listen to Revisionist History, The Moth, Serial, and several other awesome podcasts I can’t think of right now.
- Say Hi is a great app to have handy if you’re trying to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t speak your language.
Just a few recommendations of business-y books:
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert is about how bad we are at predicting what makes us happy. I’ve recommended it at least 10 times.
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande is about how we treat people as they age. It’s fantastic, as is nearly every book and article by Atul Gawande.
- Setting the Table by Danny Meyer is a book about how, when all else fails, great service saves the day. Fantastic.
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz is pragmatic, entertaining, and immediately useful in at least 5 ways.
- Creativity Inc. by Ed Catmull has given me at least three ideas I now regularly use in my work life
- I’m pretty much a sucker for anything Malcolm Gladwell writes too.
I have a bunch of lefty guitars, some that are pretty great. My Larrivee L-09 has never let me down. It sounds amazing and is not at all fussy.
I really like Manhattans.